Monday, September 26, 2005

A Rather Shelfish Weekend

We entertained our first guests in our new place this weekend. We had some friends over for dinner and conversation, and it went quite well. The kids were pretty cooperative, and the evening progressed without any uncomfortable lulls. All in all, I think everyone had a good time. Our new house will work well for entertaining--well enough that we may have to do it more often.

Saturday I built shelves. I didn't get as far as I would have liked, but I accomplished quite a bit, considering it turned out to be a "nested loop" type job. I would start the shelves only to find that I needed to do something else first. I'd then start on that only to realize that something else would need to be done before I could accomplish that job, and so on.

So after moving the cabinet on the wall over about eight inches, assembling the plastic shelves from our previous garage and finding places for them, and sorting through the boxes of bottles and cans to be stored, I finally got to work on the shelves. I got shelving cut and installed in two of the five sections, and bottles loaded onto one section.

That will hopefully hold me until I have time to cut more shelves. The saw is so noisy (and dusty! I had no idea that MDF produced so much dust!) that I can't do it while the kids are trying to sleep, which limits my hours of operation greatly. But I'm hoping that by the time I get the plastic shelves and the remaining section of completed shelves loaded there'll either be nothing left to store for now, or it will be a few days later and I'll have time to cut some more shelves before the kids go to bed. We'll see.

I'm eager to get this project over with, as I may then be able to start concentrating on my den. And a few "Honey-do's" that have also been accumulating.

No comments: