Tuesday, September 06, 2005

NOOOO DISASSEMBLE!

In keeping with the holiday, I worked. Not at work, but at home. We inherited a set of hand-made cabinets in the garage, which I was excited about initially, but on closer inspection decided they were not going to work. I had already ripped them out and had them in our driveway, and yesterday I disassembled them, salvaged the door hardware, and chucked most of the wood in a dumpster.

After that I ripped out the squash patch. We also inherited a garden, and the crook-neck squash have been taking over. No longer. We're down to a couple of zuccini plants on the other side of the garden. And thousands of squash bugs are dead or homeless. Icky icky icky! (pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv)

The squash plants had to be disposed of, and fortunately we had a dumpster. My two year old son was "helping" me, so we worked out a deal. I'd load a wheelbarrow full of plants, haul them to the dumpster, then give him a ride in the wheelbarrow back to the garden. He thought that was a lot of fun.

Then my four year old daughter came outside and wanted a piece of the action. Fortunately they both agreed to sit together in the wheelbarrow. By then we were nearly done hauling plants, and I figured she'd be pretty disappointed to only get two rides. The last ride I decided to take a detour on the way back to the garden and ended up giving them a wheelbarrow ride around the neighborhood. So at the moment I'm on both their good sides.

It was a pretty good day, all in all, though there were the unfortunate incidents later at the flooring store. There are worse ways of spending the last holiday of Summer. Even if the day ended with a huge load of food storage, a shifted load, a slow-motion scramble to catch falling boxes, and a broken bottle of beans.

Those are the days that make life worthwhile, and make the ones in between a little more bearable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a great ebook blog,keep it up

Thom said...

Thanks! Though I must plead ignorance when it comes to various genre of blogs. If you or someone could inform me what elements make my blog an "ebook blog" I'd be happy to keep it up.