Friday, September 16, 2005

Juiceless Drill Bits

I'm not sure how it knows, but my cordless drill always seems to run down just before I finish a project. Invariably I'm left with only two or three more screws to drive, which is just few enough to tempt me to do it by hand. Remind me next time that it takes a long time and a lot of muscle power to drive a three-inch screw into pine, even when I've got pre-drilled pilot holes to work with.

On the other hand, I'm loving the new miter saw. My middle son is not. He hates the noise. My daughter is simultaneously fascinated and frightened of it. She'll stand there and watch from a safe distance, her hands over her ears, but she can't bring herself to leave. When I later tried to explain how a saw works (without actual demonstration) she was afraid of the sawdust I tried to get her to feel. I guess that's better than having them NOT afraid of my saw at this point. It's better if they keep a respectful distance.

Still, I could do without my son shrieking and running away crying if I even plug it in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me that I remember his father being really afraid of loud noises at that age. You hated the vacuum cleaner, or anything else loud. Be glad he at least tolerates the vacuum. You have to use that a lot more often than a saw.