Thursday, September 01, 2005

I'm Not Still Standing

With great space comes great furniture needs, or something like that. Our previous house had a small living room and no family room. The couch was an old thrift-store purchase that Terhi had given new life with a new cover. We donated it back to the thrift store when we moved.

Now we have a living room and a family room, and up until yesterday no furniture in either one. Over the weekend we purchased a loveseat and chair for the living room, and a hide-a-bed sofa and loveseat for the family room (yes, that means we now have room for guests).

The place looks really good now, but it also makes it seem more alien. The new house has seemed like we own it so far because all of our stuff is there. Now we have a bunch of new stuff that we're not used to, so it looks less like we own the place now. I have a feeling the "alienation" is going to continue for awhile, as we're going to need to pick up additional furniture and art pieces to complete decorating.

When I was a missionary in Australia I transferred around frequently. There came a point, however, in every new area when I suddenly realized that it felt like I belonged there. I wonder how long it will take this time.

No comments: