Monday, May 09, 2005

Weekend of Wonder

..as in, "I wonder where that weekend went."

We had my parents come to visit, for one thing, which usually makes things go quickly. While I talked with them in the kitchen I mixed up another batch of veggie burgers. Yes, I'm a de facto vegetarian. It's downright un-American of me, but I've decided that a good veggie burger is better than a hamburger, mainly because of the subtleties in taste--and because the veggie burger doesn't sit like a rock in my gut for the next twelve hours or so.

The trouble is, most veggie burgers are expensive, and the cheap ones are...well, cheap. So I got bold last year and tried making my own. I conducted a little industrial espionage and stole the ingredients list from a major fast food chain that will remain nameless (they've since switched suppliers, anyhow). The proportions, however, were all a big guess. They turned out pretty good, but I'm convinced I can do better.

This batch wasn't an improvement, other than taking less time to do. I think I need more vegetables and less filler/glue, but it'll be at least another six months or so before I try again. This batch made enough to last us at least that long.

We got lots and lots of rain this weekend. At this rate, by the time I get a chance to mow my lawn I'll need the weedwhacker.

No comments: