Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Spreading the Love Coast to Coast

One of my first official duties in my new position is to set up a team meeting. Trying to find open slots in thirty-five people's schedules is tricky enough. Spread that team across four offices in three time zones, and...well, you exceed the capabilities of Microsoft Outlook, for one. And I volunteered to be the team communications lead. Silly rabbit!

We had a meeting yesterday involving many of the those who are now on the team, and we opened it up to questions. I should have expected it, really, but I was a bit surprised that not everyone was as excited about the change as I am. I should have remembered that change is not easy for many people. I'm usually an early-adopter, and while I can understand the people who are slow to adopt, I have a hard time understanding those who outright resist the change. Especially when what is being changed has always been a pain-point for everyone.

It has also been interesting to see the eager-beavers come forward. One person on my team emailed me to introduce himself shortly after the announcement went out. Another has written in response to my email that I would be contacting everyone shortly. A third came from someone on another team within the group, but who has a strong interest in some of the areas I'm in charge of. I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but it is interesting to note, at any rate.

Meanwhile, my last project reared a half-dead head again today. I've got more work to do than I have time to do it. Hee hee! This is fun!

...for now.

No comments: