Monday, May 16, 2005

There's a Story There

I pass through a school zone on my way to work every day. Ever since I started driving that way the same woman has been the crossing guard. Last week I saw her with another woman, and it seemed evident that there was some sort of training going on. This morning the new woman was there by herself. I wonder what happened to the original lady.

Did she retire? Did she become a paid actor for a Procrit commercial? Did she go on vacation? Did she get the crossing-guard equivalent of a promotion and is now guarding the much-busier Fairview and Cole crossings? I've never been able to resist a good story, and I know there's one there.

All through the winter I was tempted to buy her a gift certificate to the local coffeeshop and present it to her as a passing stranger appreciating her work. I wish I had.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goes to show we need to strike when the iron is hot and the thought is there. She probably quit in disgust because no one would appreciate her and gave her the finger one too many times. Not that I am trying to ease your guilt or anything. :-)

Live in the moment!