Friday, July 21, 2006

Seven Days Makes One Weak

Well, maybe not, but I'm sure ready for a weekend, even if it will be a bit of a tense one. One of the drawbacks of being in the Sunday School presidency in my church is that part of your job is filling in for teachers. So this weekend I'm teaching the Gospel Doctrine class, usually attended by around 60-plus adults each week.

I'll also be singing a solo in our main worship meeting. I'm not sure how these things always happen, but invariably if I have one such commitment I usually have two or three.

Anyone have some great insights into 1 Kings 3-11? It's on the rise and fall of King Solomon. Short version: Off to a great start, but then he started to believe his own press. And just what does anyone need with that many wives? This guy was obviously a collector.

Thanks to my parents, I'll never be able to hear Solomon mentioned without hearing the song they sometimes played on the stereo when I was a kid: "Kiiiiiiiing Solomonnnn didn't pray for riches...Kiiiiiiing Solomonnnn didn't pray for fame, oh no!...Kiiiiiiing Solomonnnnnn only prayed for wisdom....but it brought him fame and fortune just the same!"

Ah, the things we keep from childhood.

No comments: