Friday, October 07, 2005

(Saw)dust in the Wind

Last night I built a recycling cart in 2.5 hours. That's got to be a record for me for a project that requires more than one tool. Now we'll see if it works the way it was intended. It's a two-level rack, with three 40 qt. garbage cans on the bottom and the garbage company's curbside bin and another garbage can on top. The whole thing is on casters so we can move it wherever we need to.

It turned out rather well, considering, and I had just enough wood to do the job. Now I'm on to more maintenance projects, like fixing aleaky kitchen faucet (at which I have a mixed track record)and getting the bedroom doors so they don't squeak. I suspect it's going to take more than oil for the latter on. I think the doors are mounted a little out of alignment and rub against the frame when you close them.

I was thinking of getting a desk for the den this weekend, but when I mentioned it to my wife she said I should build one. I'm not sure if she was serious or not, but if she is, it means I'll have to wait until my brother gets his house renovations finished so I can use his new shop. I'm getting more and more of the stuff I'd need, but I've got a long way to go before I'd be able to make even an adequate-looking desk. And I doubt I'd save much money in the long run--probably cost more if I try to make it out of anything other than particle board.

It's the weekend, finally, but it's going to be another busy one to the point that I'm not sure I'm even looking forward to it. I wish I could take a few days off and just go do something fun. I'm not sure what that would be, even if I had time, so it's probably best that I not take the time off, I guess.

No comments: