Saturday, October 29, 2005

Red Scare

I don't know how we've made it this far with no major injuries amongst our children. Today I thought maybe that trend had been broken. Walter hauled off and whacked Emma in the head with a toy bus. At first we thought she'd just been bruised, but then we noticed the blood. She's got such thick, long hair that it took awhile to show.

We then proceeded to perform our own Keystone Cops routine as we tried to take care of her without getting blood on the carpets, ourselves, and everywhere else. For all I know it had already stopped bleeding by the time I started applying pressure. It took us awhile to get her cleaned up enough to find the laceration. It turned out to be nothing too serious, maybe 3-4 millimeters. With all the blood I'd imagined something much worse.

It's almost impossible to get that much hair clean, and since we didn't want to wash her hair right away for fear of re-opening the wound, she went most of the day with red highlights in her hair. Tonight was bath night anyway. Terhi says the cut is pretty much okay, just a little swelling.

Knock on wood, we've still managed to avoid the emergency room so far. The way the two older kids horse around and go after each other I can't imagine how we've survived. Our day is coming, I'm sure.

No comments: