Monday, October 31, 2005

Christmas Comes Early!

I was introduced to "The Chronicles of Narnia" in third grade. I heard they were turning "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe" into a movie, but I took my usual wait-and-see approach. I hate getting my expectations up, only to be disappointed.

So I probably shouldn't have read this review from Newsweek. I don't know if the movie will have the right feel, but the reviewer, Jeff Giles, sure does:

"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is a slim, evocative book that always seems smaller than you remember, like a house you lived in as a kid."

Aptly put, and captures how I've felt about them. Giles also avoids the "too religious/non religious enough" debate that seems to be raging around the movie, stating simply, "It's faithful to the novel, and only as Christian as you want it to be." Just like the books, I should add.

But the best line in the review is about the character of Aslan:

Aslan (voiced by Liam Neeson) is a magnificent bit of computer animation, whether or not you think he's Jesus.

(And don't think for a moment Liam Neeson's participation and role don't have me excited!)

Last, but not least, they link to a trailer. By jove! If I don't see another movie the rest of this year, I've got to be there for this one.

No comments: