Monday, August 08, 2005

Visage Envy

We watched "Kate and Leopold", starring Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman over the weekend for our date night. I'm not one to compare myself with actors, but I have to admit that if I could pick my face I wouldn't mind looking like Hugh Jackman. He has a rather handsome, flexible face--flexible in that he can look gentle and charming or ferocious and manacing with equal ease.

Let's face it, Bill Pullman would have a bit of a challenge pulling all of that off.

I don't know if it's age, the part, direction, make-up, or what, but Meg Ryan wasn't as cute as she's been in this one. And it's not like "You've Got Mail" (arguably at her cutest) was all that long before this one. I suspect it was the part, largely. Kate McKay was not as lovable a role like Kathleen Kelly. And Hugh Jackman stole the show. Heavens, even Breckin Meyer, as Ryan's brother, was more lovable.

Nonetheless, it was a good movie. We enjoyed it. I can't help but think the world would be a better place if we could find the time for civility and manners. And romantic dinners on rooftops.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My goodness! No comments on the house, lawnmower or Hugh Jackman, but FIVE comments on BLACKBERRY! What is this coming to?!

Anonymous said...

...world... :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, for those who hasn't guessed yet, this is the bloggers wife commenting. :-)

Anonymous said...

My personal opinion is that much of Meg Ryan's non-cuteness in that movie was due to a bad haircut. That was the worst hair style I've ever seen on her. Didn't suit her one bit.

Of course it is true that her character was also more flawed than her usual ones. Still, I have to go with the hair style. Nothing like having your bad hair days preserved on film and video tape for all the world to see for generations to come. I'm glad it's her, and not me.

Thom said...

The Blogger's Wife. Hmmmm..... sounds like there should be a novel there.

Benneducci said...

I have to admit, while I liked this movie, I never did figure out what Leopold would see in Kate. She's an obnoxious New Yawk female who thinks she's always right and talks incessantly. This a gentleman from a civilized age is going to find attractive? Hugh definitely carried this movie...

Thom said...

Well, you may or may not remember what his options were like in his own time... But yes, they didn't really cover much why he fell for her. And he certainly fell out of and back into love with her easily.