Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Independence Is Irrelevant. Resistance Is Futile

I'm about to take the last leap into the wired world. I've been resisting getting a Blackberry since I started work at my present company because the idea of getting work calls and emails at home appeals to me about as much as getting a mohawk via waxing. But I essentially have no office, and hence no place to make or receive phone calls unless I take over a privacy booth.

I get emails just fine with my laptop, but I guess a few times my fellow team leads have wanted to reach me in person. That doesn't bother me, frankly. It's a personal preference that they don't send me an email asking me to call them. But my wife can't reach me very easily in an emergency, either. And while we haven't had any honest-to-gosh emergencies yet (knock on...whatever this table is made off), there has been plenty of business coming up with our real estate ventures and no way to reach me quickly.

And so I told my boss today I either need a desk and phone here in this building (where I spend 90% of my time lately instead of my real desk) or a Blackberry. I guess the Blackberry's easier to arrange.

And so any day now I'll be receiving my Borg hip implant. I'm in I.T., for heaven's sake. I should be thrilled to death that not only do I get the latest fancy gadget, but the company will pay for it, too. I even hear they have an "off" switch that we're permitted to use after hours.

So why ain't I dancin' in the street?

4 comments:

Benneducci said...

What the froog is a blackberry, anyway?

Thom said...

A Blackberry is a combination cell-phone and PDA, in many cases with a qwerty keypad rather than the infamous stylus. It is able to be connected to the company's mail service continually so you can receive and send email through the thing, as well as make and receive calls.

Benneducci said...

Gads, it is a Borg hipplant, isn't it? That much connectivity should be illegal, or at least immoral.

Thom said...

What's really unnerving is when you get people with Blackberries with "Bluetooth," which allows them to add a wireless hands-free set. The people at work who have it have this combination microphone/earpiece contraption attached to one ear all the time, linked to their Blackberry.

I really, really hope I never become that important.