Saturday, August 06, 2005

Quality Time

My wife and I have been trying to get in "dates" with each of the kids each month. Today was my time with my older son. He loves the kids section at Barnes & Noble, so I thought I'd take him there after we picked up a few things for the move from Home Depot. In order to find the moving dollies we passed the lawnmower section.

We ended up spending the rest of our time there. He just loved walking around looking at all the different models and then picking out the one that looked just like ours. He was in heaven, and I can certainly think of worse things than hanging around in Home Depot. Especially when he is so excited. He's quite cute when he gets enthusiastic about something.

As further proof of Home Depot's superlative nature, they actually had a rack of "Tractor and Mower 2005" catalogs nearby. I picked one up for Walter's church-time entertainment tomorrow. Sure enough. He spent close to an hour today leafing through the catalog.

Of course I should have realized. Practically every day he asks me if I'm going to mow the lawn, and if I ever change in to my grubbies and not mow the lawn there is heck to pay. I don't quite understand the obsession, but what the hey. If you can't beat them, join them.

We capped the morning off with a donut from WinCo. A visit to the lawnmower section and a 43-cent donut--and I'm a hero. There are some things money can't buy. But I did pay for the dolly with Mastercard.

No comments: