Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Rush Makes Obama An Offer

Rush Limbaugh has been the subject of continuous attack by the Obama administration for some time now. I agree with many others who believe such attacks (and others against other critics) are childish and unbecoming of the office, and will eventually backfire.

I think the Obama Whitehouse knows this, too, but figure if they can just keep the GOP off balance long enough they'll be able to push the rest of their agenda through before America wises up. They're even bragging about it to Politico.

Well, Rush is shooting back by challenging the President to come on his show and debate policy. He knows full well Obama won't--can't--accept such a challenge. But then Limbaugh moves on to the real meat of his challenge--exposing Obama's and the Democrats' hypocrisy, pettiness, and outright nastiness:
In fact, Mr. President, you know what, I know these are tough economic times, and you're trying to convince people that you're "saving" the taxpayers money, that you're cutting spending, that you're cutting the deficit. In that vein, I, Mr. President, will send my jet, EIB One, to pick you up and bring you here and take you back to wherever you want to go. You'd love it. It's not as big and luxurious as your jet, but it's got enough seats for your Secret Service detail. But it is something to behold. I'm very proud of it, Mr. President. I worked for it. I paid for it. Taxpayers pay you for your travel. Nobody pays me for mine. I pay for it. I pay for the airplane. I pay for the travel. I pay for practically everything I do. We can talk about that, too. I could tell you what that's like.

And once you land, by the way, I have a fleet of SUVs because I have guests here all the time. I have four or five SUVs. I can send a caravan to pick you up. I'll even put you up at The Breakers. It's a five-star resort. I'll do it all on my dime. We don't want the taxpayers footing any of the bill for this -- and my jet burns a lot less fuel than your two and your C-130 to bring your limousine and SUV caravan here. In fact, you know what, Mr. President? I'll tell you what I will do, if you will do this. I will promise to order some Wagyu Kobe beef at $100 a pound, just like you serve at your cocktail parties and your Super Bowl parties. I'll get it from Allen Brothers in Chicago, since you like that. I know you like $100-per-pound beef. You serve it at the White House.

But I'll cover the cost. I will cover the cost, Mr. President, so that the taxpayers do not have to pay for it, as they did your Super Bowl party, and as they do your Wednesday afternoon cocktail party. So you have no excuses. Your flunkies are demanding this debate. Your flunkies are targeting a private citizen with an enemies list that so far has three or four names on it: Mine; Rick Santelli; Jim Cramer at CNBC; and let's not forget Joe the Plumber, who your allies in Ohio also tried to destroy. The difference is that Joe the Plumber does not have his own microphone every day. They're shutting Santelli up at CNBC. They're going to shut Cramer up pretty soon, too, but he'll go down with a fight. That isn't going to happen here, to me.

He finishes with some rhetorical fireworks:
Rahm Emanuel is leading the team going after a private citizen, and the Drive-By Media applaud, get on board and help further the mission. We live in different times. So if you can wipe me out -- and, by the way, Mr. President, and Mr. Emanuel: Don't make the mistake of assuming I'm wiping myself out here in the process. I want to thank you guys for elevating me beyond the stature I already earned and achieved, because now more and more Americans have the opportunity to learn who you really are, what your ideas will really accomplish, and what damage and harm I think your policies will bring for a very, very long time to them and to this country.

I've never been a fan of Limbaugh, so I imagine I'd be in the 89% of people under 40 with whom he doesn't poll favorably. But I also have to admit that my dislike has never been based on actual experience. I also would never assume for a moment that Limbaugh is the "leader of the GOP". If that were the case they'd be a much different party--and perhaps we'd not be in the mess we're in.

If anything this concerted attack by the Administration makes me want to start listening to Rush just to see what ideas and information he's putting forward that the Administration finds so frightening. By making this attack they run the risk of making Mr. Limbaugh the actual leader of the American Conservative movement and putting together a strong enough coalition to give them difficulties in 2010.

The way things are looking now that would be a good thing. Less power in the hands of this Democrat administration may be the only way to save this country from becoming completey unrecognizable by 2012.

No comments: