Thursday, September 18, 2008

On Second Thought, Let's Not Go To Camelot...

Todd Zywicki makes a case for Congress making itself irrelevant:
In the abstract, I am no fan of the administrative state and see the theoretical value of political accountability. But if I have to choose who I'd trust to deal with the big decisions, it is hard to make the case that Congress as it actually exists is who we want in charge. Over the past few years, the Executive and Courts have increasingly filled the gap that they perceive as existing because of Congress's incompetence. One would like to say that if the Executive or Judiciary won't step in Congress will step up. But that doesn't seem like a realistic scenario to me. It is a vicious cycle and it is hard to see how that cycle can be broken.
I'd never thought of it like that before, but I'm having difficulty arguing with his assessment.

No comments: