Tuesday, March 14, 2006

James Lileks Makes My Day...Twice!

I had a really hard time getting going this morning, and it only started looking worse when I got to work. But then James Lileks posted a short video about the snow they got in Minneapolis, complete with witty commentary (at least I find it witty). It made me laugh, and I needed to laugh. And so I determined to thank him by sending the following letter:


I just had to drop you a quick note just to say thanks. Your snow video today, with its accompanying commentary, made me laugh. I needed a laugh this morning. And that is the reason I keep coming back to your site. You remind us all to appreciate life and laugh at ourselves--a message made all the more legitimate by the fact that you admit needing reminding of it yourself.

Your site is a physical embodiment of that idea, really. There's the screedblog and occasional bleats about current events that show that you're living amid the same turmoil as the rest of us, but they're secondary to the real site, which is about life and fun and enjoying the moment and being aware of what is around you.

So thanks for what you do. Please keep doing it.
Thom


I didn't expect a response, let alone one so quickly. I guess he sorts his mail by "most recent first." Anyway, he said:

Why, thanks! That's very kind, Thom. You put your finger on the general objective of the site - it's not my intention to do one thing or other; I just make it up as I go along. But I'm glad it comes across like something *I'd* like to read. If you know what I mean.

Babblingly,

Liles [sic]


Heehee! James Lileks wrote to me! Pardon me while I have a shameless fan-boy moment. Oh Cousin! Now we do the dance of joy!

You must understand. If I could write any website on the web it would be Lileks.com. The Instapundit is cool (not as cool as his wife), but Lileks rocks. I've been reading for several years now, and it's to the point that I feel like I've got a friend up in Minnesota. Last time I flew through there I joked with my wife about calling Lileks while we were in town.

Anyway, I have a hard time believing he's not a genuinely nice guy (he loved playing Dark Tower, for crying out loud). His site is fun, and his "Diner" podcasts are a hoot. The man deserves his success, and I wish him more.

No comments: