Friday, February 03, 2006

Must...Protest...Everywhere!

I know this is old news, and that Cindy Sheehan hardly needs more air time, but I can't help it this time. As my Momma always told me, "Life is a box o' choco--" No wait, that's someone else's Momma. My Momma always said "You catch more flies with honey."

How does that apply? Consider this. Whether or not I'm against her views is irrelevant. It's pretty much a given that just about everyone who would be watching the State of the Union Address knows who she is and what she stands for. She has pretty much become a message by herself.

So why can't she show a little respect for the institutions she is trying to influence and dress up? Ditch the t-shirt. It's completely unnecessary at this point. It'd be like putting a big banner on the Statue of Liberty that read "American Symbol."

The room is guaranteed to be full of people who have dressed up for the event. And here she is, wearing a t-shirt with a zip-up jacket over top. What little I saw of the jacket suggested it was a jogging jacket, but it's probably a safe bet that a jacket with a zipper is not likely to be considered dress-up attire, at any rate.

Would it have hurt for her to dress up, leave the slogans at home, wear a tasteful American flag pin, and simple sit there and watch the speech? On the contrary, I think it would have built her some credibility. She could have rolled her eyes during the parts she disagreed with, showed some support if she heard something she liked, and generally portrayed herself as a sensible person. It may have scored her some points even with me.

But I guess that's too much to ask.

It's also probably too much to ask that we cut the police who arrested her some slack. This is, after all, Cindy Sheehan. I don't think it's unjustified for an officer to see this famous face, who's already been arrested before for her protests, dressed in a manner inappropriate to the occasion, wearing a t-shirt with a slogan, and think "Uh oh, this lady is going to cause trouble." What indication was she giving that she was there to behave herself?

These same police also yanked a politician's wife with a t-shirt (at the SOTU! Oh, The Manolo! He rolls over in the grave before he is dead!) proclaiming the opposite view. There must be rules about this sort of thing already in place, or why would they want to open up THAT can of worms?

By the way, considering the big flap over the women's sports team that wore flip-flops to the White House, where is the furor over wearing t-shirts to the SOTU? That's a much more formal event, I would think, than a reception at the White House, and yet if there's an outcry I've missed it.

There, I think I've covered about every angle. Except one more:

Do us ALL a favor, folks! EVERYONE stay seated and hold your applause! I really don't care WHAT you support, or WHAT you oppose. I just want to hear the guy talk and get it over with! Quite wasting my time! Or better yet, let's return to the days of Jefferson, when they just mailed in their report.

Why no, I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Why do you ask?

No comments: