Monday, February 27, 2006

Finns Party On Ice

From an article on MSNBC.

The Finns appeared to have recovered from the loss quickly, with thousands of hockey fans braving freezing temperatures in Helsinki’s central market square late Sunday to celebrate the nation’s silver medal.

A six-hour ceremony, with local singers performing on outdoor stages, ended in the homecoming of for Finnish “Lions.” Flag-waving fans greeted the team with shouts at the icy waterfront square near the president’s palace.


I've been in that square. Only serious Finnish Hockey fans would stand in out there in freezing temperatures and icy winds slicing in off the sea for six hours. I did it for ten minutes and thought I'd never thaw out. Perhaps the ceremony only lasted two hours, and it took four more hours to chip everyone loose from the cobblestones.

I'm not sure which is more weird; to read about things happening in someplace I've been several times, or that I still find it weird to read about things happening someplace I've been several times.

No comments: