Monday, February 20, 2006

The Great Seitan

It's probably no secret by now that our family is pretty much living a vegetarian lifestyle. Over the weekend we were able to finally try seitan, which is a gluten derivative used to replace meat. I have to say it's pretty good. We made stroganoff with it, and I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately it's pretty spendy stuff, costing $4 for half a pound, so I don't see us eating a lot of it in the future. This weekend was a special occasion.

There is supposedly a recipe for making it yourself. I may have to look into it. I've made significant progress in creating my own veggie burgers (they taste good, but they're not perfect yet), and I've been tempted to try making my own tofu (once, just to see what it's like). Perhaps seitan would be worth a try.

You know, I never, ever, in a million years imagined I'd ever write two paragraphs like that. What a bizarre turn of events...

No comments: