Friday, December 12, 2008

Auto-Destruct System Activated

I'm still ambivalent about the auto industry bailout. I think what I most wish for at this point is that they'd make up their minds and either do something or not, but make the dang decision so the auto-makers can get on with their self-destruction or find other options. I would hope they haven't put all their eggs in the government bread-basket, but if they have, dragging this out is only going to make it worse.

Frankly, for the long term I think it would be a good thing if we lost one or two of the Big Three. The market is saturated. With all the foreign options it's getting hard to tell everyone apart. Too much choice just drives the prices down--good for consumers, bad for businesses. Do we really need five different options for one type of car? From one company? Out of at least eight I can name off the top of my head?

Since I'm into movie quotes today, I'll sum up with this: "Spock says the Klingons will die without our help. I say 'let them die!'"

No comments: