Friday, June 23, 2006

When You're Finished, Trim the Hedges!

The other night I trimmed the bushes outside our front door, turning our unruly masses of leaves into tidy, rounded topiary delights. My father-in-law, a hydraulics scientist, helped me. I'm glad I didn't have to pay our combined wages to get the job done. I'm also glad I don't pay else to do it. It was actually rather fun.

If nothing else, there is something satisfying about hacking away with the clippers, watching the spray of green as the leaves go flying. I can see why people start sculpting their bushes into various shapes. Such brute artistry is addictive. It's probably the same impulse that drives people to make all those chainsaw sculptures.

Pruning the gnarled evergreen bush wasn't quite as fun, but it sure looks better now. I'm tempted to get rid of it, but the wife like the juxtaposition of the wild, unruly evergreen amid the trim, orderly bushes. And so it stays, for now.

2 comments:

Benneducci said...

But are you peon or potentate?

Thom said...

I'm the peon, Terhi's dad is the potentate. By the way, if you know anyone, I'm looking for runaways who only dance on holidays when crutches cut in.