Friday, April 28, 2006

Parental Endorsement

My parents' parenting style has been endorsed by Popular Mechanics.

The article discusses how easy kids have it these days, especially when it comes to knowing how to be self-reliant. Too many kids grow up not knowing how to do their own laundry, change a tire, or build simple items. I remember nearly twenty years ago teaching my first missionary companion how to do his own laundry. I'm sure it's only gotten worse since then.

I don't give my folks enough credit, especially my dad, but thanks to them whenever something breaks around the house my first instinct is to see if it's something I can fix myself. Often it is. Just like the author, I received much of my training in household plumbing while "holding the light" for my dad. And I griped and complained the day he said "your turn."

Now I wonder what took him so long. I hate trying to operate in tight spaces under sinks, and I'm much smaller than he is. I imagine I'll be sending my kids to work under the sink as soon as possible.

Similarly, my folks taught us to work. We didn't like it. We complained. We tried to sneak away at the first lull. But we learned to work. Now I can spend a whole day building a play gym all by myself, even though they recommend having two or more people. Okay, my wife helped with a few parts.

I'm not bragging or feel I'm anything special that I can. I'm more concerned that an increasing number of people can't.

No comments: