Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Beauty In My Inbox

My brother emailed me a digital picture of my sister's latest painting. She took a couple of classes a couple years ago and works in some painting time around taking care of an energetic two year old. I saw something she did a year or so ago and thought it was pretty good.

Her latest is incredible.

It's a picture of the fields and mountains at my uncle's ranch, in a soft, impressionist style. It's been said that good art invokes an emotional response. If so, this is good art. It haunts me.

I know my sister pretty well, so I am not particularly surprised to know she had it in her. I'm pleased and proud as punch, though, that she's found a medium to communicate it. I hope she finds her painting immensely satisfying.

I won't post the picture. For one, it's not my place to do so. For another, to shrink it down would never do it justice.

She seems to be rubbing off on my mother, who's also been taking art classes recently. I haven't seen any of her work yet, other than the hand drawn birthday cards she started sending this year, but I suspect there's another talent about to be tapped.

It's funny how people you've known all your life can still surprise you.

No comments: