Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Judgement Day

For the second time I've been recruited to be a judge by my sister-in-law as part of their PTO's talent competition. I'm the Musical Composition judge. I guess my degree is still useful for a few things.

It's not a hard job. Both years there has been only one entrant, so there's not much pressure. The kid will advance to the next level regardless of what I think. Not that they have to worry about it anyway. Writing songs when you are 11 years old is not an easy undertaking. Musical notation is tricky. I'm impressed that she used fairly sophisticated notation, even if she didn't use it perfectly.

My sister-in-law says I wrote more in my comments than just about any other judge. Well, I figure it's the least I can do. When I was in seventh grade I had a teacher tell me my writing was good and entered me in a city-wide competition where I took second place. That one shot in the arm led me to develop a talent that has opened more doors for me in life than just about anything else I can think of. The least I can do is pass it on.

No comments: