Friday, January 30, 2009

Marching Bravely Into the Unknown, Armed With....Nothing! Have A Sandwich.

Okay, it's not as bad as that, but it is one of my favorite lines from "You've Got Mail".

My job will be terminated in April. I am an official Victim of the Recession (TM). I'm fairly optimistic, though. I think this will prove to be yet another good experience. The only real question is just how much a vertiginous change in direction will be required before I wind up where I need to be.

One of the blessings/curses of having an MBA is the ability to see all the logic behind a move like this. The company is doing the right thing. It's not the easy thing, but it's necessary. It makes sense. I respect the leadership for what they're doing.

And I respect how this company handles lay-offs. I have a two-month period to get things in order and start lining up something else. I'll get a decent severence package. And, from what I can tell, they even fudged things a bit in my favor rather than follow the letter of the law. I have high hopes that the company will do okay, and perhaps in a few years when they're back in growth mode I'll want to go back there.

I won't be burning any bridges, that's for sure. They'll get my best before I go.

Call me naive, but I'm still kind of excited for the change.

No comments: