Monday, January 28, 2008

In Memorium

Gordon B. Hinckley, prophet and president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, died last night. That's my church. That's my prophet.

He served in that capacity for over a third of my life. A more upbeat and genial man would be hard to find. He was not afraid to laugh, not afraid to help others laugh, and not afraid to laugh at himself.

He was not afraid to point out our shortcomings, clearly and without apology. But at the same time his message was always one of hope: "I know it's hard, but you can do it. You can be your best selves."

There was no hypocrisy in him. He lived the life he would have for all of us. He lived quietly, simply, and humbly. He felt the weight of his calling greatly, even while making it look effortless.

His life embodied the advice his father once gave him: "Forget yourself and go to work." He kept a travel schedule that would have killed most people. He was literally sustained by faith. He was determined to do all that he could for as long as he could. We were blessed that he was able to do so much for so long.

I loved that man. I'll miss him. I'm glad we had him for as long as we did.

No comments: