Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Managing Expectations

The latest in my "gross overpayment" saga:

When I convinced the company to refund my money they said it would take about 5-6 days. Evidently that was just to get things started. I called them last week and was told "a couple more days." Four days later there's still nothing. So I called them again today.

The latest word is that I'll be getting a check until sometime around Thanksgiving--over a month later. Had they told me this up front I wouldn't have been happy, true, but I would at least not have been sitting around fretting each day wondering why my money hasn't shown up in our account yet. Evidently the Spirit of Service hasn't told them about under-promising and over-delivering.

Oh, and evidently they're not capable of figuring out that while I did grossly overpay my bill, I did intend to pay it. They're sending the entire amount back. Meanwhile I'm overdue for last month and owing this month as well.

At any rate, where I was originally satisfied with the way they've been handling the situation, I've since moved from somewhat ambivalent to rather dissatisfied.

No comments: