Friday, April 29, 2005

Laptop Envy

I was at a meeting the other day when I realized I was the only one of the four there without a laptop. I had a steno notebook and a couple printouts of meeting materials I thought I would need. Of the other three, one didn't have her laptop open. Another kept an eye on his email. Only one of them was actively using her laptop, and she was the one conducting the meeting and projecting her desktop on the wall for all of us to see.

I realized I wanted a laptop, too.

To be honest, though, I don't know if I want one because I'd really use one, or just because. It's the only piece of technology I really covet all that much. I don't own a cellphone (the wife has one, but it's for safety purposes mainly), I don't have a PDA, don't have an iPod. My computer at home is a 600 mhz hand-me-down with a dial-up connection. We only have a DVD player because we got one free after buying $100 worth of clothes at Sears (though honestly, they're terrific machines! Love, love, love it!)

(Just as an aside, our DVD player is obviously a cheap model if they gave them away. But the other night I had it on pause during a conversation with the wife, and when I went back to viewing my show I accidentally pushed "eject" instead of "pause." I groaned, certain that I'd have to spend several minutes getting back to where I was, even with the chapter function. But when I reinserted the disk it automatically started playing right where I had left off! I was so impressed! For a cheap DVD, someone sure did a good job of anticipating my needs! Kudos, whoever you are!)

But I don't know if I'd really use a laptop if I had one. Yes, it'd be good to have regular access to my email during meetings, and yes, I've had to rely on other people's laptops for presentations. But other than that, why would I need access to a computer when I'm not at my desk? To take notes? A steno notebook is cheaper, more portable, not susceptible to power/network drop-offs, and as quickly searchable as any electronic file structure.

About the only advantage would be readability. I can type faster than I write, and when I write fast it becomes hard to read. But I've been in few meetings where valuable content flowed faster than my handwriting. And word processors are not conducive to doodling.

Okay, I've talked myself out of it. With my new position I would very easily be able to justify a laptop from the company. But I'm not going to do that. I'm going to make a conscientious effort to document how often a laptop would make a real difference in my productivity. I won't give in to laptop envy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooo! Don't give in to the Tech Side! Can you believe Mom and Dad went out and bought two new phones yesterday? One to replace the mobile that Dad claims doesn't work (after spending a couple hours running cable across the hall and behind things so that he could have it Right By His Chair), and the other to put in the kitchen. Why we need a mobile phone in the kitchen I don't know, (in fact the whole idea strikes me as sick and wrong) but now we have one. This leaves the bathroom as the only unphoned room in the house. I have a sick feeling it's next...

Benneducci said...

By the way, I gave in... Go me.

Thom said...

You gave in and....bought a laptop?

Your Host said...

That certainly seems to be what he's suggesting, Thom.

And I look forward to the day when we become a two-computer family. Forget the two-car thing for us......

Benneducci said...

Well no, I signed up for an account on this thing and got my own weblog. Woo... We'll see if I actually post anything.

Wish I could afford a laptop, though, I could use the money...