Friday, June 05, 2009

Congratulations, Class of 2009

I went to my nephew's high school graduation last night. It's been quite awhile since I've been to one--it was probably my own, come to think of it.

The school district superintendent informed us that 75% of the graduating class was either going on to some sort of schooling or into the military. I suppose that could be an impressive figure, but I also have to wonder how much the recession has to do with it. If given the choice between trying to find a job now or being able to wait for a couple of years I know which one I'd pick.

In some ways, this class may be timing things just right. I suspect our economy is going to undergo some changes over the next few years, and they will be well-positioned to adapt mid-way through their post-secondary training if need be. But they will have to stay informed. I doubt they'll be able to rely on the jobs that were hot a few years ago still being hot when they graduate.

Still, I do think that by the time they graduate the economy will be in much better shape. With any luck they'll be emerging from the halls of higher learning just as the employment wave gets firmly headed upward again.

This is an exciting time to be young. It's not without its challenges, of course, but this generation of kids will bring a whole new vibrancy to the world that will make itself felt.

They still need to use sunscreen, though.

No comments: