Thursday, August 09, 2007

Mindless Rant

Okay, is it only me, or does anyone else look at the latest HP personal computer campaign and think "The Nightmare Before Christmas"? I swear it's the same font.

And I'm not sure how that is supposed to work with their slogan of "The PC is becoming personal again." I mean, is the new bootup sound file going to be written by Danny Elfman? Is Clippy going to be replaced by Jack Skellington? I just don't get how "creepy" equals "personal".

But what do I know? I'm just a consumer. And I did buy an HP. But only because Jared at CompUSA convinced me it was the best deal, not because Tim Burton produced their ad campaign.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows why they decided to use that particular font. Maybe they're trying to turn Halloween into a computer-giving holiday? Probably some young pup in advertising thought it was a cool font, and some old guy who approved it didn't make the connection. Or maybe they're trying to sell computers to goths?
Another one of those "huh?" moments in advertising. It seems to be a trend lately. Commercials that leave you wondering what they were advertising, or at the least why they want you to connect their product with the strange images they put in the commercial. Personally I'd be delighted if I could pull the company logo off my car, plant it, and grow a new one, but do I want to run out and buy the car they show growning up out of the ground? No. In fact, it's kind of a turn-off. It makes the car seem like a monster or at the least an out-of-control weed.